“Few authors today are more trusted by natural parents than Sarah Buckley. Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering is an exceptional book that gives families the confidence they need to follow their own instincts.”
—Peggy O’Mara, editor and publisher of Mothering magazine
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering
Can birth really be natural and safe for you and your baby?
How does the superb design of your female body enhance safety, ease and pleasure in labour and birth?
Can a gentle birth give the best possible start in life, leading to profound and pleasurable experiences in the early days, weeks and months for all involved?
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering answers your important question and gives you the information you need to create a safe, satisfying, and gentle start to family life. Dr Sarah Buckley, family physician and mother of four, shares the science as well as the wisdom of gentle choices in pregnancy, birth and parenting.
Dr Buckley explains, in easy to understand language, the logic, safety and benefits of natural birth and gentle parenting, using the best medical evidence. She also explains the conditions we need to optimize the flow of the “ecstatic hormones” that every woman’s body produces during a natural labour and birth, and that continue to support her during early mothering.
Dr Buckley’s warm and wise words have helped mothers, babies, fathers and families around the world. Read their feedback here
I love your book. It is delightfully easy to read, inspiring, incredibly informative, and it speaks to women from a gentle yet empowering voice. You beautifully combine common sense with medical information which cultivates awareness and a path to awakening. Your own personal stories create a soft loving touch.”
Vicki Abrams:,co-author, with Deepak Chopra, of Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives. Director of prenatal programmes Chopra Center, Carlsbad CA www.journeytobirth.com
Among a wealth of important topics, Dr Buckley addresses the following
Making wise choices in pregnancy and birth
- Which simple approach will help you to make the best choices in every area of pregnancy and birth?
- Should you accept testing for gestational diabetes?
- Are antibiotics necessary in labor to prevent group B strep?
- Is it better to be induced for going overdue?
- Is ultrasound safe for your unborn baby?
- What are the risks and benefits of epidurals?
- Is a cesarean safer than a natural birth?
- When is a cesarean really necessary?
- Is it safe to have a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)?
- How can you and your baby have the best possible cesarean experience, if really needed?
- Is homebirth a safe choice?
- How can you choose your homebirth midwife?
- How does birth affect us, individually, as a society and in our relationship to the Earth?
- How can we enhance our instinctive connection to our bodies and our babies during pregnancy?
- How can our instincts help us during labour and birth?
- What is Mother Nature’s superb design for our female bodies in labour and birth and how can this design enhance ease, pleasure and safety for mothers and babies?
- What are the “ecstatic hormones” of labour and birth and how do they work, for mother and baby?
- What is undisturbed birth, and how can an undisturbed labour and birth benefit mother and baby?
After birth, breastfeeding and bonding
- How does a natural, undisturbed birth enhance breastfeeding and bonding for mothers and babies?
- Why is it important to not disturb mother and baby during the hour after birth?
- Is it safer to clamp your baby’s umbilical cord soon after birth or later?
- Is it a good idea to bank your bank’s cord blood?
- What is lotus birth and how might it benefit you and your baby?
- Can gentle early parenting benefit life-long brain and emotional development?
- What are the benefits of breastfeeding for mother and baby?
- Will breastfeeding continue to benefit your toddler?
- Hoe can you get the best sleep in the early months?
- What do you need to know to share a bed safely with your baby?
I am not exaggerating when I say that Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering is the most enjoyable book on birth and mothering that I have read, ever.
Review from Trish at tinygrass.com
Sarah Buckley’s book is hands-down and easily the best of all birthing books yet” Joseph Chilton Pearce Author, Magical Parent, Magical child
Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: first edition
(One Moon Press, Brisbane Australia, 2005)
|This book was originally published in 2005 in Australia by One Moon Press, Dr Buckley’s publishing company, and has been available worldwide through her webshop and selected outlets in the US, Canada and the UK from 2005 to 2009.
After two sold-out print runs, this edition is now out of print and has become a collector’s item,
If you have this copy, you have a very valuable book!
For those who already own the first edition, here are the benefits of owning the new edition and a comparative list of chapters.
The 2009 revised edition: includes
- New research, all updated to 2009
- Making wise choices in pregnancy, birth and parenting
- Deciding about testing in pregnancy, including gestational diabetes and group B strep
- Making an informed choice about induction for going overdue.
- The science of breastfeeding your bay, toddler or older child
- Safe co-sleeping, (also published in Mothering magazine)
- How attachment-style parenting will help your baby’s brain development
- Cord clamping and cord blood banking: what is the right decision for you, your baby and your family?
- Is it safe to expose your unborn baby to ultrasound?
- What are the risks and benefits of epidurals and cesareans
- The homebirth stories of all four of Sarah’s children
- The amazing placenta and lotus birth (first published in Mothering magazine)
- New chapter covering all the benefits of breastfeeding, including breastfeeding beyond the first year
Below is a comparative list of the two books, with the changes that Dr Buckley has made for the new edition,
|Gentle Birth||NEW GBGM 2009||Original GBGM 2005|
|Reclaiming every woman’s birthright||YES updated||YES|
|Ecstatic Birth: natural childbirth and its ecstasy-inducing hormonal cocktail||No (newer version on website)||YES|
|Instinctive Birth; vision and tools||YES||YES|
|Healing Birth, Healing the Earth||YES||YES|
|Lotus birth||No (on website)||YES|
|Jacob’s placenta: A love story||YES New chapter||No|
|Emma’s birth: sweet and oceanic||YES||YES|
|Zoe’s birth- challenge and transformation||YES New chapter||No|
|Jacob’s water birth: perfect timing||YES updated||YES|
|Maia’s Birth: A family celebration||YES||YES|
|Homebirth in Australia||No||YES|
|Choosing homebirth||YES, updated||YES|
|In praise of normal birth||No||YES|
|Prenatal diagnosis||No (new ebook soon)||YES|
|Ultrasound scans: cause for concern||YES updated and expanded||YES|
|Undisturbed birth: Mother Nature’s blueprint for safety, ease and ecstasy||YES updated and expanded||YES|
|Epidurals- risks and concerns for mothers and babies||YES updated and expanded||YES|
|Leaving well enough alone in third stage||YES updated and expanded||YES|
|Cord blood banking information||YES updated and expanded||YES|
|Breech choices||No (new ebook soon)||YES|
|Cesarean surgery||YES updated and expanded||YES|
|Your body-your baby, your choice- decision-making for gestational diabetes screening, group B strep and induction for going “overdue”||YES New chapter||No|
|Attachment parenting: an introduction||No (on website)||YES|
|Extended breastfeeding : the gift of a lifetime||No||YES|
|Breastfeeding: the gift of a lifetime||YES , completely rewritten||No|
|Bees, baboo and boobies: my breastfeeding career||YES||YES|
|The coziness of cosleeping||No (new ebook soon)||YES|
|Getting a good night’s sleep: gentle approaches to nightwaking||No (new ebook soon)||YES|
|Babies, mothers and the science of sharing sleep||YES New chapter||No|
|Ten tips for safe sleeping||YES||YES|
|Love, attachment and your baby’s brain: how gentle early parenting promotes life-long wellbeing||YES New chapter||No|
|Mothering, mindfulness and a baby’s bottom: an introduction to raising your baby without nappies/diapers||No (new ebook soon)||YES|
|Yoga and Motherhood: a personal perspective||No (new ebook soon)||YES|
|Gentle Discipline with young children||No (new ebook soon)||YES|
Ebooks are gradually being added, with the most popular chapters from the first edition soon to be available in ebook.
All ebooks are accompanied by a one-hour audio (mp3) of Dr Buckley speaking on the subject.